THE Island of Lewis had its own goodly number of outstanding men and women to maintain the principles of the Church of the Reformation in Scotland when the stand was made for truth in 1893. In common with most places in the Church, these faithful witnesses “which had known all the works of the Lord” have been taken to their rest, but they left behind them another generation of likeminded persons” of whom the greater part remain until this present, but some are fallen asleep” (I. (Cor. xv. 6). Of these latter, notices of a few appeared in the pages of the Magazine from time to time. Owing to the tardiness of the present writer, intensified by the difficulty of finding information there are others about whom nothing has been written, though they were just as eminent for their walk and conversation, according to holiness. To name a few which have been removed in recent years in North Tolsta, Donald Nicolson and Donald Mackay, elders and Angus Mackenzie, a brother of the late John Mackenzie, student, adorned their profession while they were with us and their memory is held in the greatest respect by all who knew them.
Our purpose at present is to sketch the history of Mr. Kenneth Mackenzie, elder, Stornoway, who was well known not only in Lewis but throughout the Church at large. He was born in a village now called Logie near Ullapool in the parish of Lochbroom in the year 1857. In early life he took up his trade as a painter in Glasgow, but he came to Stornoway well over sixty years ago, making his home there though his work took him to many part of Lewis and Harris as well as to Skye and many districts of the Mainland. He lived for many years after coming to Lewis without giving any indication of having undergone that radical change of which the Saviour spoke to Nicodemus:—”That except a man be born again, he cannot see the Kingdom of God.” He came, however, both to experience and evidence that the Saviour lifted up on the Cross was his one and only hope of salvation.
Kenneth Mackenzie was identified with the Free Presbyterian Congregation in Stornoway from 30th October, 1893, when a meeting was held in the shop of Mr. John Macdonald, Tailor, “to further the Cause upheld by the Free Church Presbytery and to form a managing committee to arrange for supply, and to look after the interests of a congregation which might be formed, in a general way.” Though he was interested in the welfare of Stornoway and Lewis generally, his connection with the Cause of Christ as represented by our branch of the visible Church absorbed most of his energies. He took an active part in carrying out the schemes of the Congregation and his zeal as to its welfare continued undiminished to the end. He was ordained a deacon in 1911, and an elder in 1927. Since his retirement some years ago, his delight was to be continually visiting the aged and infirm and there are a goodly number yet with us who greatly miss his frequent calls which helped them to forget for a time their pains and weaknesses. Stornoway has seldom seen a man with less rancour and bitterness in his dealings but that did not keep him from maintaining his principles as a man and as a Christian. He was steadfast to his convictions and walked the path of duty in a way that retained the respect of all.
He enjoyed a goodly measure of health till a condition revealed itself which necessitated a serious operation. Everything possible was done for him, but his lifework was at an end and his course finished. He departed very serenely to be with Christ on Sabbath night, 15th January, 1939. The high estimation of his many friends and acquaintances in Stornoway and Lewis was shown by the attendance on the Wednesday following, when all that was mortal of our late friend was laid to rest in Sandwick Cemetery. We extend our sympathy to his widow and daughters, praying that they will be given to follow the faith of husband and father “considering the end of his conversation, Jesus Christ, the same yesterday, today and forever.”—Malcolm Gillies.