The Edinburgh congregation was formed in 1893 or soon afterwards. Some of the people were of Lowland origin, and almost immediately there was a dispute over whether the services should be in English only or in English and Gaelic. About a dozen people left over the decision to hold services in both languages (see FPM vol.26, pp. 185-6). A Communion was held in April 1896 at the Tron Free Church in Chambers Street with about 400 people attending the Sabbath evening service (FPM vol.1 p.36). The congregation became a sanctioned charge in November 1897. Between 1900 and 1902, the services were conducted by a student, Donald Macleod from Oban. The usual place of meeting was the Hall, 20 Chambers Street.
On 19th March 1903, Rev. Alexander Stewart became minister, and in 1904 a church was purchased in East Fountainbridge, costing £1600 and seating 500 people. This had been built in 1877 as an Evangelical Union church, but the congregation had joined the United Presbyterian Church in 1899 and was in the process of being dissolved (which was completed the following May, see A.I. Dunlop, Edinburgh Kirks, p. 464). The first FP service in the church was held on 22nd September 1904 (see FPM vol.9, pp. 239-40). In December 1905 Mr Stewart joined the Free Church of Scotland, taking with him the church building, the records, and a large part of the congregation. In 1918, the East Fountainbridge Free Church congregation was combined with Free St Columba’s and the church was sold as a motor garage. It was demolished in 1985.
Meanwhile sixty-two people remained in the Free Presbyterian congregation (FPM vol.10, p.400), and they resumed meeting in the Hall in Chambers Street until this was sold, and thereafter in various locations including a hall in Riego Street. In July 1921, the present church in Gilmore Place, also a former United Presbyterian church, was purchased.
In 1923, Rev. Neil Macintyre became minister, continuing until 1950. Subsequent ministers have been Rev. Donald Campbell, 1951-1983; Rev. Angus Morrison, 1986-1989; Rev. DB Macleod, 1991-1995; Rev. HM Cartwright, 1998-2011; and Rev. David Campbell, 2013-date.