The Inverness congregation dates back to 1893, the first minister, Rev. Allan Mackenzie being ordained in November of that year. A church was purchased in Fraser Street, costing £1100 and seating 450, sometime before May 1896 (FPM, Vol. 1 p. 39). In July 1897, Mr Mackenzie and a number of followers separated, retaining the Fraser Street building (FPM, Vol. 2, pp. 312-4). In May 1900 they were accepted into the Church of Scotland (FPM, Vol. 5, p. 80). Their building survives and is presently a restaurant.
A new church was built for the Free Presbyterian congregation, seating 700 people, and was opened on 12th January 1900 (FPM, Vol. 4, p. 359 and p. 437). Rev J.R. Mackay was inducted as minister on 24th January 1900, but left in 1918 to join the Free Church. He was succeeded as minister by Rev. Ewen MacQueen in 1919, but in 1938 he too left and formed a separate congregation in Inverness. Since then the ministers have been Rev. A.F. Mackay, 1947-1987; Rev. D.M. Boyd, 1989-2000; Rev. G.G. Hutton, 2001-2014; and Rev. KD Macleod 2017-.