The congregation dates back to 1893. There was difficulty over obtaining land, but the church at Bayhead was completed in 1899. The manse was not finished before 1916.
Missionaries who supplied the congregation in the early days included Malcolm M‘Corquodale (1821-1902) and Donald MacSween. The first minister was Rev. D.M. Macdonald, 1916-1919. During the vacancy services were conducted by the missionary D. Ross. The next minister was Rev. J. Maclachlan, 1923-1933; followed by Rev. W.B. Nicolson, 1939-1945; Rev. D.J. MacAskill, 1948-1955; Rev. A. Morrison, 1959-1999; and Rev. Donald Macdonald, 2005-date. For five years prior to his ordination as minister, Mr Macdonald acted as missionary in the congregation.