The congregation dates back to soon after 1893. The first minister, Rev. George Mackay, was inducted in 1898, with nearly 700 people signing the call. The church was completed in June 1899 (FPM vol.4, p. 118).
Mr Mackay joined the Free Church in 1905. Subsequent ministers have been Rev. Neil MacIntyre, 1908-1923; Rev. Malcolm Gillies, 1925-1945; Rev. Donald Campbell, 1947-1951; Rev. J.A. Tallach, 1952-1960; Rev. D.M. Macleod, 1961-1968; Rev. John MacLeod, 1969-2004; and Rev. J.R. Tallach, 2009-date.
A new hall was added to the church in August 1966. Regular Gaelic services were discontinued in spring 1997. Weekly prayer-meetings were held at Sandwick but were reduced to monthly meetings in 2004 and were discontinued about 2007. Prayer meetings used also to be held at Swordale (Point).
See also Achmore.