Free Presbyterian ministers held services in Sydney periodically from 1950 when Rev. D.J. Matheson visited as Church Deputy. During the 1960’s, Rev. William MacLean (Gisborne, NZ) held services in Bible House, Sydney and again, from 1973, when he was settled as the Free Presbyterian minister in Grafton, NSW. The Rev. E.A. Rayner was settled in Grafton in 1976 and commenced monthly mid-week services in the Mission Room of St John’s Cathedral Parramatta, until a regular afternoon service was started each Lord’s Day in December 1979.
These services were taken by church members Alistair Shaw (Elder), Jacob van Praag and (from 1983) Calvin MacKenzie, and were held in St John’s Parramatta, then in the Tron Kirk in Granville, and then in Blacktown Central Primary School. A church building was finally purchased in Riverstone from the Baptist Church in 1987. In 1988, assessor elders were appointed from the Grafton, NSW Kirk Session, namely Richmond Kidd, Ronald Kidd, Murray McAlpine and Geoff Kidd (Session Clerk). In 1987, Jacob van Praag (Clerk of Deacons’ Court), Calvin MacKenzie, and Hank Optland (Treasurer) were ordained and inducted as the first deacons. In 1990, they were further inducted as elders with Calvin MacKenzie as Clerk of Session, and they continued to take the services and lead the Sabbath school classes. The first minister, Rev. George B. Macdonald, was inducted on 2nd March 2010.