Mr Peter Anderson, Edinburgh
In an age of great apostacy from the doctrines of God’s word, the death of the godly is a loss greater than most people are willing to acknowledge. When one endowed with the spirit of prayer for himself and others, is removed from the throne of grace, where he wrestled for the blessing, a very great loss has been sustained by those who no longer have the privilege of being remembered at that throne.
“The prayers of David the son of Jesse are ended.” The consequences could have painful results. Yes, a praying man is no ordinary asset to his community.
Of that class was Mr Peter Anderson, born at Mid Morile, Tomatin on 23rd March 1877 and the second youngest of a family of eleven. Like many of his generation in that part of the country Mr Anderson had God fearing parents. He himself often recalled the last words his father said to him when the former was on his deathbed. While at their last worship together his father said, “Sing, Peter, sing,” a request surely indicative of a good hope for Eternity. Mr Anderson always derived great pleasure from Psalm singing both in public and private and though not possessed with a strong voice, he led the singing with becoming gravity. During Mr Anderson’s boyhood the late Rev. Donald MacFarlane of revered memory was minister at Moy. This was before the latter moved to Kilmallie. The Catechist at the time was Mr Duncan Fraser for whom Mr Anderson had very great regard and esteem. Mr Fraser he described as a loving preacher of the Gospel.
When his father died the subject of our obituary was about twelve years old and at that early age it fell to him to take his father’s place at work. He commenced gardening on the estate of MacIntosh of MacIntosh but did not continue long in that occupation. In due course he moved to Inverness where he joined the railway service. From the railway he moved into the hotel service and eventually worked at the Royal Hotel, Inverness. Had not the Lord intervened he might have made hotel management his career. Then his whole life could have been different.
The divine intervention came when under the preaching of the late Rev. J. R. MacKay, latterly Professor MacKay, our friend was convinced of his sins. Notwithstanding his pious upbringing this was a new experience in the life of Peter Anderson and the Sabbath work involved in his secular occupation was among the sins which caused him great distress. As far as one can ascertain the saving change then wrought was gradual. Nevertheless it matured until his whole life became a living witness to the genuineness of his faith. This gradual process was often a temptation to himself, particularly when he heard those who could give the time and place of their deliverance. However such temptation was overcome as he bowed before the Divine sovereignty, an attribute of God singularly demonstrated in the salvation of the elect.
In 1911 Mr Anderson moved to Edinburgh where he spent the remainder of his life. There he took over a green grocer’s business in which he continued till 1948. As a businessman Mr Anderson was competent and scrupulous. His honesty was reflected in his employees. On one occasion his message boy had stolen money but denied being the culprit. Mr Anderson suspecting the boy’s protestations of his innocence closed the shop and took the boy aside. While they were alone together both kneeled and Mr Anderson prayed. After rising from their knees the boy, acknowledging his guilt, led Mr Anderson to the place where the money had been hidden. On another occasion, after his retirement, a young man called at 24 Robertson Avenue and asked to see Mr Anderson. While alone the man handed him an envelope containing money. In doing so he explained that when working for Mr Anderson he had stolen some money which he now wished to repay. The man had in the meantime been converted and could not rest until he returned the money fourfold. Before parting he asked Mr Anderson to pray with him.
In June 1912 Mr Anderson married Christina MacKenzie a native of Stoer, Sutherland. They made their home at 24 Robertson Avenue, Edinburgh where they continued to live happily together until death parted them in August, 1929. Her sister who lived with them died the previous year. Both were gracious women whose fellowship Mr Anderson cherished.
Our friend often spoke of the first Communion he attended in Edinburgh. It was held in a hall at Tollcross and the officiating ministers were Rev. J. Sinclair and Rev. N. MacIntyre afterwards his revered minister. The impression made was a lasting one. Between that Communion and his last in Edinburgh in May, 1976 Mr Anderson saw many Communion seasons. No one could question his worthiness to partake of the Lord’s body. At this last Communion he was wheeled to the Lord’s Table where with manifest solemnity which conveyed itself to the whole congregation and with an angelic countenance he took the symbols of the broken body and shed blood of his Saviour for the last time. The symbols gave place to the glory that shall be revealed.
24 Robertson Avenue has been an open door for the Lord’s people from the time Mr and Mrs Anderson made it their home. This good tradition is being continued by their likeminded daughter, Amelia, her husband John MacLeod and son Alastair. During that long time hundreds must have been entertained in that hospitable home. Mr Anderson spoke of those Communion seasons with such vividness of memory that one could easily visualise the kind of activity those occasions produced. From Mr Anderson’s own account the theme of the conversation was invariably edifying. The home at Robertson Avenue was not for entertaining Communion guests only. For years ministers and elders supplying the pulpit stayed there. This also afforded our friend great pleasure and in this way long standing friendships were established. To mention by name all involved would be impossible. Most are in eternity, while a few like Mr Thomas MacRae, Dumbarton still remain.
In February, 1928 Mr Anderson was ordained an Elder of the Edinburgh congregation and during his long term of office — forty eight years — he never wavered in his loyal adherence to his ordination vows. His interest in his own congregation had first place in his round of duties and his tender concern for the welfare of the people, young and old, won the affection and esteem of all. He also served in the other courts of the Church, where his counsel and experience were much appreciated. The day Mr Anderson was ordained to the Eldership he left in the house his wife seriously ill and his sister-in-law’s remains. This most solemn situation made an indelible impression on our friend’s mind and left with him an awe of eternal realities.
For years the Edinburgh congregation worshipped in different halls throughout the city. When the church at Gilmore Place was bought Mr Anderson showed great enthusiasm in both its purchase and subsequent payment. For some time after obtaining the church, in the absence of a church officer, the men of the congregation attended to the various duties involved and Mr Anderson did his part with his usual cheerfulness. This meant that in the winter he had to leave the house at five a.m. on Sabbath to attend to the furnace. Consideration for the comfort of the congregation seemed uppermost in his mind. By 1944 Mr Anderson’s health showed signs of deteriorating. That year he was for three months in the eye department of the Royal Infirmary where he had six operations, and spent most of the time blindfolded. Although unlike Moses, his eyes were dim and his physical strength abated, he like Moses endured seeing the Invisible in His word. Among the passages made precious to him were the fourteenth chapter of the Gospel according to John and the 130th Psalm. At the time he asked that these passages be read to him.
During his latter years he developed cataract in one eye and in 1966 owing to thrombosis he became totally blind. Although his memory was always good, after the loss of his sight it seemed even better, and consequently he could repeat portions of Scripture which were the subject of his meditations as he found himself excluded from the visible presence of others. Although our friend reached the ripe old age of ninety nine years there was no trace of senility at any time in his behaviour. This enabled him to continue his interest in people young and old and in all nations. With the use of a radio transistor he kept himself abreast of current affairs. This interest was prompted by a concern for the souls of lost sinners. Mr Anderson realised the awfulness of a lost eternity and fervently prayed for an outpouring of the Holy Spirit upon the nations. Before retiring at night he would often say, “If we should pass away during the night it would be good for us if we had a token that we are in Christ.”
Mr Anderson had his own share of the sorrows common to mankind. Bereaved of his wife in 1929 he was left with two young daughters at a time when they most urgently needed a mother’s care and affection. His son-in-law Alastair MacAskill died in 1961 and his daughter Hughina, Mrs MacAskill, in 1972. These deaths were sore bereavements which he bore with remarkable composure and submission. Instead of causing him to murmur against the Lord’s dealings these dispensations intensified his concern for his grandchildren — Peter, Alastair, Mairi and Colin.
Mr Anderson left a written message for his family in which he advised them to stand fast by the Free Presbyterian Church, quoting the words of Joshua, “as for me and for my house we will serve the Lord.” During meetings of Synod he was often heard using the words, “Endeavour to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.” He loved peace and disliked unwarranted division. A man of transparent integrity whose own loyalty was above suspicion he expected the same standard from others bearing the name of Christ. He was lovely in his life, beloved by his friends, and respected by all including those who did not share his grace. His end was peace. A few days before his death he was removed to hospital where everything possible was done to prolong his life, but the moment of his departure had come on 29th June, 1976 when he passed into the house of many mansions. At his bedside were his devoted daughter Amelia, her husband and son. Mr Alexander Matheson, a long standing friend and a member of the Edinburgh congregation was the last to pray with him. The news reached his friends with a deep sense of loss; a light had gone out; prayers were ended and a good friend had departed this life. Considered in a wider context the news announced a loss far beyond the confines of family and friends. The city had lost one of its senior citizens, one who prayed for its welfare; the Church was bereaved of an eminent member and officebearer. We thank God for Mr Anderson’s long and pious life. We pray for his mantle to fall on his posterity and record our sincere sympathy with his daughter, her husband, grandsons and grand-daughter, Mrs Duncan MacPherson, Kames. May they know and serve the God of their father.
During his long connection with the Edinburgh congregation Mr Anderson saw many changes. Few could claim a longer connection with the congregation than his contemporary Mrs E. MacLean, Blackford Road who passed away in September, 1976. Few also had higher respect for Mr Anderson for whom she had great affection. She recalled with obvious gratitude his services to the congregation which she herself so much loved and for whose principles she remained faithful to the end. These deaths mark the close of an era.
While much more could be written we conclude our sketch of this good man’s pious life and constant loyalty to the church he so dearly loved with the words of the Psalmist: “The righteous shall be in everlasting remembrance.” Ps. 112 v. 6.
Miss Flora M. Shaw, Grafton, N.S. Wales
With the rather sudden passing of Miss Shaw on 14th August 1976 to her eternal rest in her 87th year, not only did the Brushgrove-Grafton congregation lose one of its most devoted and zealous members, but the whole of the Clarence one of its outstanding personalities.
Miss Shaw’s father, whose forbears came from the Island of Skye, died in early life, leaving a widow whose maiden name was Janet Kidd, and a young family of two daughters and five sons. Mrs Janet Shaw superintended the running of their farm in Lower Lawrence until her death at the age of 53 in August 1916. In her obituary, the Rev. Duncan Mackenzie of Gairloch and latterly of Kames wrote: “Her illness which developed into pneumonia lasted eight days. She at times suffered excruciating pain, yet her soul with holy solemnity was rejoicing with joy unspeakable and full of glory in God her Saviour. The Most High made Himself very precious to her, and in a remarkable degree the Truth fed and sustained her. She declared that the Lord’s left hand was under her head and that His right hand embraced her. She was calmly assured that, in the storm through which she was passing, her gracious and adorable Lord was calling upon her to enter into His eternal joy. Her conversations with members of her family and other relatives were very solemn, soul-stirring, edifying and heavenly. On the threshold of eternity she was perfectly calm and composed. Her last farewell to her relatives was heart-breaking, yet she herself was the most composed in the company… Mrs Shaw possessed a lively knowledge of the preciousness of the blood of Jesus Christ that cleanseth from all sin, and she knew her need of her application of that blood. She had humble views of herself and highly appreciated the pure, unadulterated gospel. The desire of her heart was that such gospel in the power of the Holy Spirit should dominate not only the Clarence but the whole world. She held the Rev. Walter Scott in the highest esteem and spoke of him as her spiritual father”. The Rev. Duncan Mackenzie was the first deputy sent by the church to the Brushgrove-Grafton congregation in the year 1914. It was under a sermon preached by Mr Mackenzie on the words “And I will betroth thee unto me for ever”, etc. (Hosea 11:19, 20), that Miss Flora Shaw’s soul was betrothed to the Redeemer. In her life, walk and conversation, her love for the Cause of Christ and the sanctity of the Sabbath, she showed forth the praises of Him who called her from darkness into His marvellous light.
Miss Shaw who was the essence of kindness and affection was fearless in rebuking sin. Possessed with a very retentive memory and with mental gifts far above the ordinary, she was accordingly a most interesting and able conversationalist. She loved to speak of the worthies of the past on the Clarence who by their non-conformity to the world, its fashions and pleasures, endeavoured to show that in all things Christ must have the pre-eminence. The indecent mini-skirt and the wearing of trousers by women and girls — a flagrant flouting of the Word of God — were an abhorrence to her.
The Clarence in the past was favoured with eminently godly ministers. The Rev. Alexander MacIntyre was a frequent visitor to the Clarence and used to stay with Miss Shaw’s maternal grandparents, Mr and Mrs Thomas Kidd, both noted for their godliness. Mr Thomas Kidd passed away in 1912. It was with Mrs Thomas Kidd and her daughter Lily that the Rev. Duncan Mackenzie stayed during his visit to the Clarence. Mrs Thomas Kidd’s obituary written by Mr Mackenzie appears in the March 1919 magazine. Mr and Mrs Thomas Kidd had a family of 14. Three of their sons, Alexander, James and Richmond the 14th member of the family who passed away in June 1974 in his 86th year, were elders in the Brushgrove-Grafton congregation. Their obituaries are in Volumes 60, 65 and 79 of the Magazine. “Mrs Thomas Kidd” Mr Mackenzie states, “was eminently given to secret prayer, meditation on the Word and the sacrifice of praise. “She was lovingly attached to her youngest daughter Miss Lily Kidd who lived with her and affectionately attended to her to the last moment. They had much daily secret spiritual fellowship together in prayer and meditation. The writer of these notes who had the privilege of residing for six months with the family, observed that one hour at least every afternoon was devoted to these soul-profitable exercises, and was often refreshed by hearing the sound of sacred music coming from their secret chamber”. “To the core”, Mr Mackenzie also states, “Mrs Kidd was a most loyal Free Presbyterian”. Several other of Mr and Mrs Thomas Kidd’s daughters besides Mrs Janet Shaw and Miss Lily Kidd, striking in appearance and demeanour, left fragrant memories of lives lived in the secret place of Him that is the Most High, living epistles of Christ, holding fast to the law and testimony of Zion’s King, whose truth and cause they loved and honoured.
The first minister the Grafton congregation approached in 1861 with a view to a call was the Rev. Alexander MacIntyre. He declined the call as he felt at the time that his life’s work was evangelistic. “Mr MacIntyre was a polished shaft in the hand of the Holy Spirit”, wrote the late Rev. Neil Cameron, Glasgow, “and many, not only in Scotland but also in Australia will bless the adorable Head of the Church throughout eternity for making the feet of this witness beautiful upon the mountains of these widely separated lands”.
The first minister to be settled in Grafton was the Rev. Allan MacIntyre. He was called from the Manning River. His settlement in Grafton took place in 1863 but he only remained there two years, being called again to the Manning congregation where he was re-inducted in November 1865, and continued there until his death in May 1870. When he first came to the Manning in 1854 there were evidences of the blessing of the Lord attending his labours. The Monday of the communion in 1860 was a memorable day when he preached for two hours on Zechariah 12:10, “And I will pour upon the house of David and the inhabitants of Jerusalem the Spirit of grace and of supplication”, etc. It was said by some of the elders that there were not three pairs of dry eyes in the congregation. Mr MacIntyre was pre-eminently a man of prayer. He was known to have spent whole nights in prayer.
The Rev. Allan MacIntyre was a brother of the Rev. William MacIntyre of St. George’s Sydney, a Mr Valiant-for-the-Truth in his day. In his tract on the Christian Sabbath, he testifies against Sabbath travelling by “railways, omnibuses and hackney carriages to a place of worship” and clearly shows that all who do are guilty of “unmitigated Sabbath desecration”.
The Rev. Walter Scott faithfully upheld the position of the Reconstituted Synod formed as a consequence of the passing of the notorious Expulsion Act in 1884 (see “In Footsteps of the Flock — A Memorial to the Rev. Walter Scott” ch. X etc.).
On the 27th October 1891 the Rev. John S. MacPherson, East Maitland, deputy from The Reconstituted Synod, addressed a meeting in the Oddfellows’ Hall, Grafton, and a resolution was passed that the friends forming the Grafton and Brushgrove congregation should unite with the Reconstituted Synod and with such other congregations holding their principles as may unite with them. On 31st October 1891 at an adjourned meeting of the Brushgrove congregation presided over by the Rev. John S. MacPherson, a resolution similar to that passed by the friends at Grafton was unanimously passed.
The foundation stone of the Brushgrove Church was laid by the Rev. John S. MacPherson on 11th October 1898. Mr MacPherson’s name and the date engraved on the stone can be seen to the present day. The church was opened free of debt by the Rev. Walter Scott, his text being: Acts 24:14 in the morning, and Isaiah 27:13 in the evening.
In July 1911 the Brushgrove church was appropriated by the present Free Presbyterian Church of Australia. The congregation locked out of their church had to worship in a hall until they erected a church of their own which is a beautiful building in Fitzroy Street, Grafton. It was opened by the late Rev. Donald Beaton, Oban, in the year 1941, when he visited Australia and New Zealand as the church’s deputy. The Brush-grove church is now no longer a place of worship. It is a derelict spectacle — a pathetic symbol of the deadly ravages of expulsionism.
The rescinding of the Expulsion Act of 1884 eventually led to union in April 1913 of the Synod of Eastern Australia with the Free Presbyterian Church of Victoria and the Free Presbyterian Church of Southern Australia, forming the present Free Presbyterian Church of Australia. “I recognise that the Expulsion Act has been cancelled by the prevailing party” wrote the Rev. Walter Scott in a Pastoral Letter to his congregation, “but what we have to do in connection with it, is the fact that the moral wrong committed remains. The public scandal occasioned is unpurged, and the violence done to Scripture precept, as well as to recognised constitutional order (Acts 25:16) unredressed, the door is left open for its repetition. The world may say, ‘let bygones be bygones’ but God requireth that which is past (Eccl. 3:15). ‘Only acknowledge thine iniquity that thou hast transgressed against the Lord thy God’ (Jer. 3:13) . . . The Expulsion Synod have cancelled the Expulsion Act, but they have done so as a matter of policy — not of principle. They never expressed any regret or sorrow for what they did so unconstitutionally in ruin to the Cause”.
Like her godly mother, Miss Shaw was an ardent supporter of the Trinitarian Bible Society in its world-wide efforts to circulate the unadulterated Word of God. For long years she was dedicated to collecting for the Society in the Clarence. Remarkably agile for her age, she was until a week or so of her death collecting four mornings a week. The Annual Financial Report of the Trinitarian Bible Society for 1976 acknowledges £1,149.85 from the Clarence Auxiliary, a large proportion of which was collected by Miss Shaw. The Secretary and Treasurer of the Clarence Auxiliary of the Trinitarian Bible Society is Miss Shaw’s brother, Mr Donald J. Shaw, a worthy elder who for long years had been holding the services during the vacancy in the Brushgrove-Grafton congregation.
Miss Shaw was not spared to see the settlement of the Rev. E. R. Rayner, B.A., over the congregation but often expressed her delight and thankfulness at the prospect of his coming.
Miss Shaw’s likeminded and almost life-long friend, Miss Irene Bailey, although crippled for years with arthritis, and suffering from a heart condition which brought her at times to the gates of death, radiates such good will and good humour that it is hard for one to realise what a sufferer she is, or how very painstaking her efforts to be in all the means of grace. Their gift of their lovely mansion, 90 Victoria Street, as a manse to the congregation is a monument of their devotion and generosity to the Cause of Christ in Grafton. May their prayers and services of love for their nephews, nieces and their families by blessed by the Lord, that their loved ones whose spiritual welfare was a burden to them, would be led to see that out of Christ all is vanity and vexation of spirit. “Seek Christ, seek Christ, seek Christ” the great Samuel Rutherford used to say, “I tell you, He shall be found”. How awful the thought to die Christless and to realise the awfulness of what is implied in the words: “It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God”!
On March 7th, 1977, Mrs Janet Coop, Miss Shaw’s sister, passed away in her 89th year in the Grafton Base Hospital where she had been a patient for over a year. A lady of natural charm and dignity, she latterly became very infirm, and although almost bent double and crippled, she struggled to be out at the means of grace. I have never seen a person at her advanced age so disabled, make such an effort to be in the house of God. It could be said of her, “The habitation of thine house, Lord I have loved well”. She was a communicant member in the congregation for many years. The death of her godly mother in 1916 was the means used by the Lord to lead her to seek Him as her portion.
The words, “Fear not; for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name, thou art mine” were made particularly precious to her. During her time in hospital she was wonderfully submissive to the will of God and never complained. Mr Coop her husband, who was a regular attender at the means of grace, passed away in August 1975.
To the sorrowing family, her devoted grandchildren, her brothers Mr Donald J. Shaw and Mr Norman C. Shaw and their families we extend our sincere sympathy in the loss of loved ones who are now we believe on Mount Zion above in the company of the spirits of just men made perfect.
I cannot conclude this obituary without bringing before the young people of the congregation in Grafton and Sydney who still have a place in my heart, what the late Rev. Neil Cameron, Glasgow, says in one of his Lectures.
“We are as a church founded solidly on the foundation laid in Scotland at the Reformation. That foundation was solidly laid upon God’s infallible and eternal truth, and while our church will continue to hold it without surrendering or compromising in the least degree any part thereof, no power in hell or upon earth shall prevail against her, but as soon as she will depart from that firm attitude, she is gone”.
The Rev. Alexander MacIntyre said the Cause of Christ would become very low in Australia, but that it would rise again. It is certainly low in our day. The vast majority, it is to be feared, live in the darkness of practical atheism, deceived and led captive by the god of this world, but however dark the day the promise of the Father to the Son shall infallibly be fulfilled, “The isles shall wait for His law” and,
“His large and great dominion shall
from sea to sea extend:
it from the river shall reach forth
unto earth’s utmost end”.
(Ps. 72:8)
W.M.