These pages contain William Guthrie’s classic book, with slight editing. For an outline of the book, based on Guthrie’s own summary of the book, see An Overview of the Christian’s Great Interest.
PART I. The trial of a saving interest in Christ.
- Five preliminary matters
- The work of the law
- The new creature
- The difference between a truly renewed man who is in Christ and hypocrites
- The special communications of God, and the singularly gracious operations of his Spirit
PART II. How to attain a saving interest in Christ.
- Some things premised for the information of those who are more ignorant
- True believing on Christ Jesus
- Objections taken from a man’s unworthiness and the heinousness of his sin, answered
- The sin against the Holy Ghost
- Objections taken from want of power to believe, and unfruitfulness, answered
- Covenanting with God